Sunday, August 02, 2009

Q: If I’m sad about Brooke’s diagnosis, do I have to go through the stages of grief too?

Q: If I’m sad about Brooke’s diagnosis, do I have to go through the stages of grief too, or is she the only one?

A: Usually the person who has been affected is only one of the people who will need to grieve and adjust to a new life. Everyone has different depths of relationship to me, and everyone grieves in their own way. But, on average, anyone close to me, who’s known me for a long time, and/or who is related to me will need to go through their own grieving process in their own time. The general process is the same for any loss or major sadness in life. There are 5-7 steps in the process, depending on who you ask. This is a good site that lists the general stages and what they mean. http://www.recover-from-grief.com/7-stages-of-grief.html. I have been told that these steps are not necessarily linear, as people can move back and forth between them, or go through them in a different order altogether. For example, I had a long time where I was mostly in stage 4, and would occasionally visit stages 3 and 5. Some people can stay at stage 1 for a very long time before they move on. Any variation is possible.

1. Shock & Denial. 2. Pain & Guilt. 3. Anger & Bargaining. 4. “Depression”, Reflection, & Loneliness 5. The Upward Turn 6. Reconstruction & Working Through 7. Acceptance & Hope


I went through these stages in the past year or so. I’m happy to inform you that I believe I have completed these stages, for I am very happy and well adjusted now. Last year was a very dark year for me, though, so I have learned a lot about how real these stages are and how much they can affect a life. A person can not force their way through the levels, they must happen in their own time. A faked “recovery” will only relapse. Take any time needed, usually years, and fully go through whatever you have to go through.

1 comment:

odszkodowania said...

interesting publication