Sunday, August 02, 2009

Q: Does it hurt?

Q: Does it hurt?

A: Yes and no. Usually, no. There’s no nerve pain, so that’s great. My muscles do get really tense on their own, though. I treat this with prescription gabapentin, which is my muscle anti-spasm medication, and with a daily stretching routine. I won’t lie to you, the stretching hurts!

However, if I didn’t stretch, and take the medication, my leg muscles tighten on their own, a lot. Such that if I’m just sitting and minding my own business, I can get sprains on every part and joint of my body from the waist down. The muscles pull so much that my knees and ankles get sprained, they hurt, they get swollen and red, just like a normal sports injury. The same thing happens in my hips, only stronger. These things are very painful!

I put a lot of time every day into stretching, icing my muscles when needed, and other things I do to keep my body flexible and pain free. Also, my shoulders get sore from pushing too hard,
but that’s to be expected. So, most of the time I am pain free.

No comments: