Sunday, August 02, 2009

Q: Can you improve with therapy and muscle training?

Q: Can you improve with therapy and muscle training?

A: No. I do benefit from daily stretching, which is important is keeping me flexible since I have muscles that want to become incredibly tight and stiff. This also helps eliminate pain due to stiff muscles. However, the damage is in my nerves in my brain and brainstem. My muscles have been tested several times, and they are perfectly healthy. My muscles are also very large and strong already, due to the hypertonia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertonia) I have from all the muscle spasms. Therapy and muscle training only work to improve muscle tone (which I have plenty of), they can not improve the ability of an electrical signal getting from my brain to those muscles. Because my problem is in my nerves and not my muscles, there is nothing that can be done to fix the neurological error.

No comments: