Sunday, August 02, 2009

Q: How does Brooke feel about research and cures?

Q: How does Brooke feel about research and cures?


A: Personally, I’m happy to hear that someone is working on this. But to be honest with you, I don’t expect anything they find to be of use to me in my lifetime. I would expect to see people with spinal cord injuries walking before I am. This is because their injury is far more common, and more people are donating to that cause and more research is being done in their area of disability. More common diseases tend to get more energy put into them, which makes sense.

I’ve seen people who spend their lives waiting for a cure. I am not judging that lifestyle choice, but it is not for me. If there is a cure for me someday, that’s great, I’ll take it. But in the meantime, I won’t be following the latest research, or get excited every time some stem cell research shows something.


No one is yet walking from stem cells, or any other nerve repairing cures, that I know of. It’s just not part of my reality. I worked hard to get used to this life, and I don’t want to miss out on my life or my happiness because I’m waiting for something.


I also don’t like following research and cures because I guess I don’t like the idea that my life is not perfect already like it is. I am very happy, I love my life. Until there is actually a cure, I guess I don't like being reminded that something is wrong with me.

No comments: