Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What Do We Do Next?


It's been a week since my doctor called me with "I just want to do one more blood test, I'll call you and we'll set it up." I haven't heard from him. Lab tests are usually quite simple, and can be ordered like a prescription -- just write it on a piece of paper, then I go do all the legwork, like finding a lab, etc.

I think what's happening is that he can't find the test. I don't think it exists. I can't decide, as I watch from the outside and guess, whether he's lost the name of the thing he's testing for in translation (he's from South America and has a strong accent), so maybe he's just saying the name of the test wrong for English or something -- or, if the thing he wants to test for just isn't something people test for anymore (he's also really old), maybe that test was eliminated in favor of a more accurate test or something.

Anyway, that my pure speculation, as I wait. So, I called the office today and requested an appointment. I'm actually hoping he forgets about this blood test and moves on. I say this because I don't think the test exists. I've looked it up on the internet, with his spelling and other spelling variations, and can't find it!! Seriously, how many things exist and are no where on the internet. I've found some things that are similar in word, but are pronounced completely differently. Those things merely test for Stiff Man Syndrome, which he already tested for and got a negative result.

So, since we seem stalled here, my goal is to go see him face to face (where he can't cut off my questions abruptly on the phone like he did last week -- not his fault, he just has no social skills), and ask him if we should get that last test, if it's even possible, or it if really is redundant, or what. And then I can ask what we're doing next.

I don't think there are any more things to test, so I really want to ask him what we do next. We've covered spinal, autoimmune, and brain. That leaves the untestable, and there are a few of those that we'll look into next. The nurse says I may get an appointment with him next week. I'll let you know how it goes, of course! :-)

2 comments:

Tara said...

You can delete if you find this offensive, but Stiff Man Syndrome sounds like it would affect an appendage you don't have...

But to get serious, hope that whatever is down the road is good for you! Been reading about your medical adventures recently and glad to see that you are still having fun and enjoying life.

Brooke said...

Tara, no, I'm a happily married woman, I don't find it offensive at all. In fact, I find it hilarious!! I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks for the humor, Tara!! :-)

I'm glad you're following along with the adventures. Thanks for that, I'm following yours too. Keep in touch. Have a great 4th! :-)