Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Scooter Thank You Letter

I just wrote my thank you letter to the people from whom I won the scooter in Dallas. I'm not trying to show off that I wrote a thank you letter or anything, I did it because I really wanted to. But I thought you guys might like to read it too, because it describes all of the new things I can do with my scooter, and I wanted to share with you how wonderful that is! :-)

Oh, also, it was a good chance to remind my kids of the Bible story about the 10 lepers, and how the one said thank you. Trying to be a good example for my kids 'n all. :-) I hope it worked. :-)


________________________________________
A few weeks ago, my family and I attended Turning Point’s 2009 Dallas Extravaganza. At that event, I won the Pride Celebrity X electric scooter in the raffle! I am so incredibly happy that I went to this event, and that I won your scooter. I love it, and it is really raising my quality of life! I wanted to take the opportunity to fully express my gratitude that this item was available in the raffle.

I didn’t even know I needed a scooter, but now, after only two weeks, I don’t think I could live without it! I was the type who pushed my wheelchair hard, even over very rough terrain and extreme hills, and my shoulder was suffering for it. Now, I am able to use the scooter to get around outside without over-exerting myself!

I’m so happy it’s the outdoor type scooter. I even love the blue color! They are exactly what I would have chosen. Having a scooter to use outdoors is exactly what I needed. The two things I really miss since I became a wheelchair user a little over a year ago are gardening and long walks and bike rides. Your scooter has given them back to me!! Now I can move all around my hilly, bumpy lawn quickly and with ease, and I can access all of it to water my lawn! Last year all the grass died because I couldn’t access most of it. I love lawn watering, it was a fun hobby of mine, and I’m so thrilled to be able to do it again! I can also access all of my potted plants all over the property easily. Looks like I may have to really start gardening again. :-)

The other joy that has returned to me is long walks and bike rides. My husband and kids ride bikes around the neighborhood and on trails quite a bit. I was considering buying a handcycle, because I desperately want to join them, and I can’t push my manual wheelchair fast enough to keep up with them. However, I couldn’t afford a handcycle. Even if I could, I was concerned I’d hurt my shoulder more. Now I am going with them on all of their biking tours! I love it, I love getting out, and I love feeling like I’m part of the family again!

When my kids used to go bike riding without my husband, I had to have to follow them in my car in order to watch over them. That was just wrong! My kids and I are so happy that I’m “with them” now when they ride bikes! I’ve been heartbroken this past year thinking of all the things I will miss doing with my children. I don’t worry about those things anymore! I now chase my 9-year-old and 7-year-old sons around my yard and around my neighborhood! I feel like a mom again! We have been having so much fun playing together now that I can move around better. I love it!! I also look forward to taking my kids to grassy and rocky parks and trails around town. I’ve missed all of these things so much! Now I feel so free to be able to go almost anywhere I want to go outside, no matter the terrain, the incline, or the distance. Thank you so much for giving that back to me!!

I’m very impressed with this scooter and its technology. It’s very sturdy, and well made. I like that it’s rugged, and I’m very happy that I won an outdoor scooter, since that is mostly how I will use it. I also use it in my kitchen sometimes, such as when I am tired, and when I have to go back and forth carrying lots of items as I cook and clean. I can carry so much more with my new scooter. That basket is a lifesaver!

I am also impressed with how slow it can go. When I’m making tight turns in my kitchen and living room, it’s comforting to know I can take my time and get the turn right. It really helps me to not run into things too often. Very slow, or as I call it, Full Turtle Mode, is a very great invention. Don’t get me wrong, I use full rabbit mode as well. Many evenings I can be caught joyriding in my scooter at full speed up and down the street in front of my house! Whee!!! Sometimes, a wheelchair-bound person just needs a little speed!

Also, and this may seem like less of a big deal, but I’ve found it to be really wonderful: it’s nice to be able to move around in something other than my wheelchair from time to time! It’s such a freeing feeling to know that I have more than one set of wheels that I can use to get myself from place to place. And it’s all mine! Just knowing that makes me feel more mobile!
.
As you know, that first year in a wheelchair is the toughest. I completed my first year only a month ago. Winning this wonderful scooter has also changed my life because, for the first time since that awful year began, something really good happened to me!! I can’t express how much that means to me, or how much I needed it! You have done a wonderful thing by donating this scooter, and I will never forget it!

Thank you so much for this great gift, and for the great sporting opportunities you have now provided for me and my family. We had a great time! I know you probably hand out many donations, but for me, this gift changed my life! I thank God for your kindness in offering this scooter to someone like me. Please know that your compassion and your thoughtfulness are fully appreciated!!

Sincerely,
Brooke

1 comment:

John Williams said...

intresting....For some people walking is difficult or even impossible due to a serious illness, injury or disability. Mobility Scooters are specially designed for people who have low mobility. These are either designed for indoor use, outdoor use and both indoor and outdoor use. The person who feels difficulty in walking does not need anybodies assistance to drive these scooters as it is very easy operating these scooters.