Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Doctor's Appointment Today

Hey everyone. My doctor's appointment was today. Here's what happened, and what he told me.

He said the MRI results don't show anything. That the variances on it are just normal variety, like if someone's ears are different sizes on each side, it's normal, and doesn't mean anything.

He reperformed my EMG test. I had this done 8 months ago, but he didn't trust the results, which showed that my muscles were fine. He did it again, in MUCH greater detail. We were in his office over 2.5 hours, mostly doing the test. Result: yep, it's true, my muscles are still perfectly fine.

He said it's good to know. We have a lot of eliminating to go through, and that was one more thing we eliminated. He said I'm an interesting case, though he's sure I don't want to be interesting. :-)

The test stressed out my muscles and nerves a lot. It involves electric shocks and needles stuck into muscles, so it was painful. My leg was in full spasm mode by the end, even more than I've ever seen it before! So, now I'm tired and sore, but it's all necessary if we want to finish this.

Next, he wants to test my blood for very rare things. So rare, that I had to wait in the office for 1.5 hours while they called around town to find out which hospital could take the blood for these tests. We finally found one, so next, I went there.

I checked into the hospital, another hour. Then to the lab. They took I think it was 8 vials of blood. The trick is not the taking of blood, but that it then has to be sent to the Mayo Clinic to be processed. So, I guess that would be the on in Phoenix. The tests are that rare!

So, we've eliminated central nervous system, brain, and muscles. These new blood tests are testing for antibodies for autoimmune diseases that attack nerves.

The good news today is that I was able to get the doctor to give me a prescription for an anti-spasm medication, which I needed. I was on a weak over the counter version, so this should be nice.

So, that's it for now. I'm tired. I was at various doctors, hospitals, and pharmacies, and driving, from 9am to 5:20pm straight. It was a long day of diagnosing.

2 comments:

Mia said...

What a long day. I hope the anti spasm meds work. I will keep praying that the blood tests find what he is looking for. Rare is fun in rocks and gems, but not so much in medical conditions ;)

Bry n Dani Family said...

Hope you are recouperating well from a long day. Good to see you have a very thorough doctor. Hang in there!