Saturday, May 19, 2007

References

Lots of stuff to go over today. Just changed the colors here on the blog. I like it!

I finished the book Apocolype 2012, that was fun. Some of it, of course, totally hookey, but some was fun, especially the geological references.

In the next week, I will finish Hawking's "The Universe in a Nutshell". I paused in reading it for several months there, partially because I was a lot busier at the beginning of the year, but also because it was getting boring, being a review of many physics theories that I was already familiar with. But, I just read a chapter about whether or not information is lost or spared when it enters a black hole. And the things that would be required for it to be spared, which involve p-branes releasing closed strings with the same or opposite wave pattern, was cool. So, I'm interested again. I was always interested, really, it's just that the first five or six chapters, and therefore physics theories, were ones that I was already familiar with -- and I wanted something new. Anyway, now I'm almost done with the book, so I'll finish that soon.

I'm starting to discover Flickr.com, and found this: very funny. He also has this one, which was also good. I'll have to look around more.

Yesterday, I got some well-deserved, and well-appreciated alone time, with which -- as always -- I went to a bookstore (amongst other fun things). But yes, every time they leave me alone, I'll be found in a bookstore, somewhere, silently gazing and quickly reading. Anyway, yesterday was no different. I had with me my long list of books I want to look at, critique, and possibly buy. Out of that list, I only found two of my candidates. Well, I found a third, unanticipated book, which was the Quotes of Thomas Jefferson. I loved it. Didn't buy it because of the price. But given how much I've been quoting it today, Brian has convinced me that I was wrong and should still go buy it. I'll have to add it to the list. :-)

I found a book that I started reading on vacation last winter. We stayed at a Bed & Breakfast with a great library, and I read part of "The Summons" by John Grisham. I hadn't read him before that. I fould a highly discounted edition of that book, so I got that and have begun reading it as well. I like the references to flying a Cessna (small airplane), because I know all about how to do that. I fly Cessnas all the time on flight simulator, and I've flown one for real once, back when I lived in Tucson. It's like with the French language I'm learning, I like understading the references that are made in French in movies and books.

Speaking of which, the other book I got was "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning French". The other books I have on French are mostly dictionaries, so I wanted something more. This book looks great.

I saw another book there, that I didn't get, but which had a topic that has interested me all day. It was new, called "Wikinomics", and is about how mass collaboration is changing things. I am fascinated with this mass colaboration. I love wiki, blogs, and youtube, and want to know more. So, that might get added to the list as well.

Mostly, for me, I want to know a way of making my blog and/or my online book a more mass-influenced device. Lots of feedback, lots of opinions flying, lots of great input. All of which going both ways. I'm still working on the vision of it. :-)

The rest of the current book list is as follows:

Introduction to Craniosacral Therapy: Anatomy, Function, and Treatment, Don Cohen

Declaration of Independence (Document), Fine Art Print, 13.75x15.75

State of Fear, Michael Crichton

The Greek & Latin Roots of English, Tamara M. Green

Our Greek and Latin Roots, James Morwood

The Complete Home Learning Source Book: The Essential Resource Guide for Homeschoolers, Parents, and Educators Covering Every Subject from Arithmetic to Zoology, Rebecca Rupp

A Thomas Jefferson Education: Teaching a Generation of Leaders for the Twenty-first Century, Oliver Van DeMille (already read it, borrowed it from a friend, but it was so good I want my own copy)

Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self, Sandra Ingerman (also already read, borrowed from a library)

The Ultimate Book of Homeschooling Ideas: 500+ Fun and Creative Learning Activities for Kids Ages 3-12, Linda Dobson

Madison World Globe, CRAM

Learn to Read New Testament Greek, David Alan Black

Eventually, and just for fun, I want to get some Antique Maps for the Libaray.

Also......
For those of you who would like to keep up with the articles on my other site, there are 4 new entries since the page's inception:

Curriculum to be Mastered for 2007-2008 (Kindergarten and 2nd Grade) NEW! & UPDATED!

Curriculum to be Mastered for 2006-2007 (Preschool and 1st Grade) NEW!

What I've Learned From My Recent Calling NEW!

Unassisted Homebirth Questionnaire Answers NEW!

The first two are our school lists of things to learn, both the new lists for the upcoming year, and last year's list.
The "calling" article I was asked to write, so I hope I did it justice.
The "questionnaire" I filled out for a friend. Then, another friend asked me all the same questions, and I realized the information might be of interest to others, so I added it to the canon.


Now I'll go. Just as last Saturday, I got to organize my book collection, today, Brian gets to organize his DVD collection, and I told him I'd support him and be with him while he does that. It's time.

Thanks to Rush Limbaugh for the most interesting week in broadcasting.
Thanks to my Dad for his great online radio program -- always enjoyable.
Thanks to Kevin, my brother, for giving us "Hi, my name is Mike, and I'm a kangaroo!" So great -- that's exactly how it sounds. :-)
Thanks to Kim, my sister, for all the sweet words (and the more that will come when her phone line gets fixed.)
Thanks to Anna for staying a record 5 hours at my house the other day, the best time my kids and I have had with friends over because you stayed so long. It really meant a lot to us, and we're so grateful you could stay so long. I love your kids, and I love the conversations we have.
Thanks to Brittany -- for everything!
Thanks to Kasey, for always making me think my opinion is worth something. How you keep up the deception I'll never know! hehe.
And thanks to my husband Brian, for listening to all my ideas, and for taking the kids to Sea World without me yesterday!

I love you all.

No comments: