Thursday, May 31, 2007

Are you Thinking About Homeschooling?

The guilt free homeschooling blog has a great article up right now about how to "test drive" homeschooling this summer. They have lots of good information for those starting to homeschool, or even those just considering homeschooling.

I really like the Thomas Jefferson education idea. I just found this site, but I haven't read it yet. But I did just order the second book, which followed this first book, which my friend loaned me a few years ago. And I look forward to reading that second book.

This summer, as I contemplate how school will be next year, I am envisioning the young men I'd like my boys to become. This helps me teach them the qualities and knowledge that will help them achieve that status as quality young men. This summer, I am teaching them chores and responsilibities. They are accepting it well, and taking the responsiblity for those parts of the home they are in charge of.

And on a related topic, here's a site I found that encourages summer break from school, as opposed to year-round school. This was interesting to me because when I first started homeschooling four years ago, I thought year round school would be better for us. But, I quickly realized some of the points mentioned on this site, such as 1) kids have other things they can learn during summer break that can't be learned in class time, and 2) when the weather is really hot, it actually is a lot harder to concentrate on schoolwork. It's also good to give mom some time to rest and to prepare for the coming year.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

I am interested to hear what you think about the Thomas Jefferson information. I have decided to implement it in my home, and I am so excited about it.

There are two really good articles sold in the GWC online bookstore that I have found very helpful: "Core and Love of Learning" and "The Thomas Jefferson Education in Our Home." Both are by Oliver and Rachel DeMille, and both are excellent.

By the way, I found you through Rixa's site.