Saturday, May 12, 2007

Home Library!

It's finished! We have succeeded in one of my life goals: creating a home library. I'm so... tired, but I'm so excited too! The real surprise to me is that we really filled those shelves. I thought with four tall bookcases, we'd surely have more space. However, Brian said it was as he expected. I guess we really did have a lot of books. Anyway, it worked out beautifully. :-)

This is a picture from this morning. First, we went downtown to pick up the bookcases from The Bookcase Store downtown, then brought them home and carried them upstairs. Here, they are in place and half filled.

Here's the other side of the room at the same time.

Finished! Here are the three new bookcases. This is the left side of the loft. By the way, this is all in the loft, which is an open area at the top of our staircase.


Here is the other side of the room, with the fourth, original and newly stained, bookcase. Also, you can see Brian decided to add the electronic piano to the library.

Here's a view from the top of the staircase, so you can see the center of the room.
Another view of the whole room. So beautiful. That's Sam's "quarter map" on top of the bookcase on the right. He has a map that you can put the state quarters in as they are collected.

Here, and below, are some close-up highlights.

Part of the children's book area.

Here you can see the hawaiian seashell on lava rock that my father gave me and the statues of two sisters that my sister gave me. I'm so glad to finally have a place to display these.

More kids books. Here, there is a toy ant next to a book about bugs. Brian loved this part.

A side view of the new bookcases.
What a wonderful day.

Also, I wanted to let you know, for those of you who were waiting for it, that I've almost finished the Curriculum List of things to be acheived in homeschool next year. It can be found on my Online Book site. The lists (one for each child and their school year) aren't exactly finished, I want to tweak them a little still, but they're really close. You'll see the changes when they're done. I also put up last year's lists as a reference in case you wanted to see that as well. Enjoy!

No comments: