Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Good News, ankle update

We went to the other doctor today. I was very nervous, but Brian came so that helped a lot. :-)

This guy was great. He also has an ongoing ankle injury and can sprain it by walking on a large pebble, and, he hasn't had surgery for it. I was very relieved that he had a similar injury and that he wasn't going to push surgery on me.

He taught me some more about how to care for a sprain, and set me up with some Physical Therapy. Also, he very much agrees that I need orthotics, which are custom made shoe inserts. He agrees with me that the pronated feet are what causes all the sprained ankle, not to mention all the hip pain. I'm so happy to be having all of this addressed.

So, thoughout December, I'll get orthotics made and start physical therapy. I should start feeling a lot better by the end of the year. :-)

He says I need to stop exercising and such for a few weeks, until the PT starts and I get my orthotics, which is sad, because I practically live for my Saturday walks around the lake, but it will be nice to get this done, then it won't hurt in the future. Also, this is really good news for future pregnancies. Both of my last pregnancies were more difficult and complicated because my feet, and therefore legs and hips were misaligned. Alex got stuck coming out because he basically needed to turn an extra corner, so we needed a skilled doctor to fish him out, and with Sam my hips hurt so bad that I couldn't sleep at night and had to go to a Chiropractor three times a week for the last trimester. Then, ever since he's been born, almost five years now, I've had to go to a massage therapist every two weeks to have her realign my hips and massage out the damage that walking does.

I'm excited, and relieved, and hopeful for the future. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be fate that the doctor and you had so much in common. I often find the pushy doctors who always know whats best for me, yeah right! Glad to hear he's hooking you up with PT, that will be so great! And I know the personalized orthotics will fix everything! They did around here! This will fix everything now, makes me start thinking how important alignment is, physically and figuratively. How do you spell figuratively? hehe. OK, love to you all! bye bye

Brooke said...

Kim,
I think you spelled figuratively right, you spelled it the way I would have, at least. :-) Yes, I'm so glad I'm getting PT and orthotics. I've been so happy all day just knowing it's all starting to get fixed. :-) Love, Brooke