Monday, April 27, 2009

Bowling


Ok, no real updates today, except to say that I confirmed that my new doctor takes my insurance. So, that's good.

Brian



Alexander


Sam

Who took this picture? No wonder Brian wanted to "hold my phone for me".

We just went bowling for my first time since. Well, the first time bowling that I actually tried to bowl. The trouble is that I didn't get 2 frames into it before everyone I knew and perfect strangers were coming over to offer unsolicited advice. I had been planning this for 4 months, that I would come one day and try it out and try all the different possibilities of how to bowl and to find out what would work best for me. I saw lots of YouTube videos, and everyone did it a different way, so I was excited to find out what my way would be. I needed more than two frames to find that out. This lady was a caretaker, helping a very handicapped lady in a powerchair to bowl two lanes over, using a ramp for the ball to fall down towards the pins. Nothing wrong with that, except that this lady is apparently used to helping the helpless, and she's probably used to them accepting any help she can offer. Only one problem, I'm not helpless. She's never met me. She could've asked before just telling me what I was doing wrong.

I told everyone that I needed more time to try it first, to find my way. The lady answered: "sorry about your bad attitude". She really hurt my feelings. Just because I wanted to try it myself, they think I'm being rude. I really didn't mean to be, I was trying to be nice and to explain myself. This was actually quite a breakthrough for me, in the past, I would have just left without speaking to her. I tried really hard, by speaking to her, to show her respect.

Anyway, I did figure it all out, mainly I was concerned about hurting my chair with the ball, so I figured that if I bowl slowly, it all works best. :-) And of course, the kids had a great time!

1 comment:

Lena said...

Good for you! you probably scored higher way higher than I could even standing up! I am a TERRIBLE bowler!

ps-I totally agree about E. Holland's talk. It was the BEST! I Love that he brought to light an aspect of the atonement that i had never previously considered. It was amazing!