Monday, May 04, 2009

That Went Well

Hey friends. I went to the doctor's appointment this morning. It was with the 3rd doctor I've seen trying to get diagnosed with why I can't walk. This guy was great, he was exactly what I wanted in a doctor. He was a little eccentric and unusual, but he had his mind wrapped around the facts and the medicine and the symptoms I mentioned, and I know he was working hard to find the best answer. He was even open to ideas I shared that might help. I really liked him!
.
Oh, and the one thing I was really worried about, only getting 5-10 minutes to explain everything, didn't happen! He talked and examined me for 1 hour and 15 minutes! It was very thorough, and I'm so grateful that he put that time and effort into helping me.
.
He says he doesn't know what it is yet, he doesn't even have a category. He says it's very rare, or a rare form of something. And when you're on your third doctor, I think it's pretty well agreed that you don't have something common. He listed a lot of really rare and far-out-there diseases, most of which require invasive hospital-based tests, so before we go there, he wants to think about it. (...did I use the word "rare" enough just now?) :-)
.
I'm all for that! I don't like waiting, of course, but at least someone will be working to help me, that's wonderful! He says he needs time to think, research, and make a list of possibilities. Then later, his nurse will call me and set up another appointment so we can work on which tests to take.
.
He said this is a zebra. I knew what he meant when he said that. I've heard, I don't remember if if was from reading online or from TV (House or Scrubs), but I've heard that in medicine they teach them to always treat the mystery diagnosis as if it's a horse, which is much more common -- look for the common things first. Because if you see an animal and it's either a horse or a zebra, it's usually a horse. He said this is a zebra, which means medically very rare.
.
In the mean time, he did order that thoracic-lumbar MRI that I was secretly hoping for! So that's wonderful. So I'll probably end up getting that done later this week.
.
So, it's going well. I'm going to have a hard time calming down today, I was so nervous. But it went well. I just hope he can eventually find it, and not send me to yet another doctor.
.
Thanks so much for everyone's thoughts and prayers. I could tell they helped me there today, and I'm so grateful to each of you for them!
.

4 comments:

starstruck_texan said...

YEAH for Brooke...that is so exciting....I am glad that you have found someone who is willing to really figure this out instead of just slapping on name which isn't really right. Good luck!

Mia said...

Yeah for a doctor that wants to figure it out and for the MRI. If feels like progress :)

Bry n Dani Family said...

Yes, just what you have been looking for, need and deserve. Way to hang in there! Good luck with all the testing!

Jana said...

Awesome that you liked the doctor and that he isn't rushing into anything! It's always more comforting to know they are trying to figure it out...instead of just random guessing! Good luck with you MRI!