Saturday, April 18, 2009

Alexander's New Trick & Sam Graduated 1st Grade



School was great yesterday, Sam finished the very last of his first grade work! Yes, he's early, he actually finished a few weeks ago and I've been making him double go over things just to make sure, but the boy is done. Alex needs more time, but that's normal. I make the kids a certificate like this every year when they graduate, and Sam collects them. He has 4 now! (starting in home-preschool). :-) We'll start him on 2nd grade work on Monday, so that his summer break lines up with Alex's.

Alexander has been working on writing a story in school for the past 3 days. He's learning handwriting, phonics, spelling, punctuation, endurance, and most of all - story writing. It took a lot of work, but he finished it! He's completing a school requirement for this and also his last scouting requirement needed to earn his Religious Knot. So, that'll be cool!!

We had a very rainy day yesterday (yeay!! we needed it!!). Anyway, after school was over, the kids took advantage of the indoor time to learn new tricks. Alexander played with a motor, a fan, and our entire collection of multi-sized batteries, with different voltages, so see how the different one made the fan go faster or slower. He also set up magnetic switches to turn it on and off. He's way beyond me in this stuff.

Sam practiced a ton of piano work, and is about to finish his first set of piano books already. I should get you a video of him playing! The teacher says he's going much faster than she's used to seeing in kids his age. He's doing a great job.


In this video above, Alexander also created a new trick. He made a homemade whip out of a plastic stick with a rope attached to it. He learned how to turn these light and fan switches off using his whip! So cool.


Then after dinner, we watched the movie Enchanted, which my husband loves, but I've never seen before -- and I learned a lot more about just how much of a sweet romantic my husband really is. :-)

3 comments:

Jana said...

Home school? Good for you! You are a brave brave woman! My kids would drive me crazy and probably wouldn't learn a thing! I love the movie Enchanted!! I want to be Giselle for Halloween, it would be way fun!

Brooke said...

Wow, that was fast - I just posted it. Cool! Yes, we homeschool, I probably forgot to mention it because it just feels normal to me. Of course, I only have half the kids you have, so I'm sure that helps! :-) I couldn't do it with 4 either. :-) Yes, Brian loves Enchanted. Great Halloween idea -- good thinking!

Jessica said...

Yeah for Sam!
Those handbikes look really cool. My kids would love those.