Friday, March 13, 2009

Facebook / John

Hey there friends. I've been behind in blogging because I discovered Facebook. Here's my profile. My mom got me on a while ago. She started a group for our family to keep in touch. That is working well.

Then, a week and a half ago, I found out that you can find old friends from High School on there, as well as people I know now! My whole world has expanded. It's so great getting in touch with all of my friends. I can combine the worlds of my past and my present. I love it!

One friend I tried to get a hold of but then found out why I couldn't find him. I found out last week that my good friend John Holt died last October. He was only 53! It was quite a shock to me, my old friends, and even some people at "I went to Mt. View a long time ago" group. It's a good thing I didn't hear about it then, I couldn't have handled it with all the other stuff I had going on in my life. But now, in March, I was ready. I don't know how his wife is doing, but I know she's a strong lady, and I wish her all the best.

John was originally our English teacher. Brian and I were in his class together in 10th grade, 1989-90. After high school though, he became our good friend. We and some other friends shared our poetry and writings with each other often. He and his great wife Suzellen were some of the few, if not the only non-family members who were at our wedding. He was a great friend and a great motivator. He always saw a lot more potential in me than I did. And now, I'm starting to wonder if he was right. He was one of those guys who is very smart, is always nice, and is always genuinely trying to help others. You don't meet many like that. He and his wife also loved horses. They owned many and his wife teaches centered riding. He had moved on to become a middle school principal in his last years, and from what I hear, he was excellent at it.

So that's a hard thing, to know that someone you care about isn't here anymore. Very complicated, lots of emotions with that. I wish him well on the other side, and look forward to meeting him again in person someday.

1 comment:

Jana said...

I never had Mr. Holt, but it sounds like I wish I had! Sorry to hear about his passing.