Monday, February 16, 2009

The Last Hike

I guess the dry spell is over. I've finally written something again. A poem, no less. I haven't written a poem in over 10 years. I was once quite prolific as a teenager, but nothing lately. Then, last night, I was a little restless, and before I knew it half of these lines were in my head. So, Brian, sweet man that he is, got up out of bed to get pen and paper for me so I could write it down. :-)


The Last Hike

To half of my body,
You know who you are
Where have you gone,
And have you gone far?

We used to go hiking
To many distant places
Now you’ve left me alone
With all the staring faces

Perhaps you’ve gone off
To the old rocky switchbacks
But you forgot me this time
And now you’re not coming back

How will I do this,
Living without you?
This is not what I had planned
I don’t want to see this through

But no one asked what I wanted,
Did they?
No one warned of what was to come
Or told me it would be okay

The hikes are over now
And the days, they will not end
If only I could find the strength
To push these wheels past that bend

I must push on, I must push up
That is the way it will be
Because now, only when I use the wheels
Can I truly be free.


Brooke Alayna Hack, 2/15/09

2 comments:

Mia said...

I know that unless someone has been through what you are going through they can't really understand what you are feeling or experiencing. I love this poem, the glimpse it gives me into your thoughts and experiences. Thanks for sharing this with me.

Brooke said...

Thanks for the comment Mia. It's the only one, and I am grateful for it! Thanks.

Of course, I'm usually not that grim, but when I wrote that I had just had a long day of people treating me like an invalid at the temple (even though I don't need help with anything) and my self esteem was temporarily suffering.

Thanks Mia! And hang in there, you're in the home stretch! Love that picture of your kids "guarding" you! :-)