Sunday, August 03, 2008

It's Neither!

Sam and Al on Quantum Leap

I'm tired of so much. I'm tired of the question "do you have MS or MD?" 'It's neither! It's CP, not that you need to know.' (I don't really say that, it's just what I feel.) I got asked that today for like the 7th time. I'm tired of little kids asking why I'm in a wheelchair. I just want to answer: "I can't walk, ok. Want me to have to admit it to you? Because I won't admit it to myself, so why should anyone else get the honors?" I don't wanna talk about it sometimes.

I had a hard day today. There's a term I've heard on the internet called supercrip. And you know, some days, I just don't feel like being the supercrip. Today was one of those days. No big deal normally, I could just slink around the building, and not draw attention to myself. Those days are gone, my friend. Never again will I have the sweet pleasure of entering a room without drawing attention to myself. :-(

Usually, I'm fine, and I can do all the sweat and toil it takes to get ready to go out, and to get around the church building, and to field way-too-personal questions from people. Either deal with not knowing, or get to know me and I'll tell you everything. :-) But when they just want the soundbyte, and otherwise don't talk to me at all, sometimes it feels less like they care and more like they're just using me for information.

I'm tired of going for a door at church, and having MANY people try to help me. I want to say it's 18 people, but really it's more like 4 or 5. Still, that's a lot. It's a door, how do they think I get around the rest of the week? One person helping would be fine, not that I need it on those interior doors. Now, the outside doors are worse, though, because there you've got the combination heavy door with bumpy threshold on the ground. Not to mention that it's one of those things where you have to go through two successive doors just to get in the building. I have to use both hands to do a minor wheelie to get my front tires off the ground in order to get over the bumpy threshold. That's easy, unless of course, I'm holding a door that's so heavy I can't push it out at all to make it swing open for the 2 seconds it takes to pop that wheelie to get over the bump. So, I almost fell today trying to get into church. So embarrassing!

At least I figured out that if I go backwards up the ramp in the parking lot that it's possible to get up that steep hill. That ramp is too steep by ADA standards for a self-pusher in a wheelchair. They probably don't care, though. The only people to use that building are those in motorized chairs and those being pushed. No one's ever had to go through these hoops before like me.

That ramp isn't actually so bad. The worst part is when folding chairs are set up with too narrow of an aisle for me to even enter a room without people and chairs being moved to make space for me. That happened TWICE today!!!!


Brian and I have been going rounds this weekend over something as simple as who should hang up the clothes. Because I just can't do it. Not only am I too short, but the doorways into the boys' room and into my closet are too narrow for a wheelchair. I just can't do some stuff. He says I should make Alex do that too. Alex is doing so much. He already does all the grocery shopping and all of a lot of other stuff too. I feel so bad for him.

I feel awful that I have to make Alex do sooooo much. He's really not tall enough, but still he stands on our 2 step ladder and dives down into our washing machine repeatedly on laundry day to get the clothes out so that we can dry them. He's really too short for it, he has to stretch so much to reach every last sock, but it's the only way to wash clothes.

I'm just not in the mood to be supercrip today. I wanted to stay home.

5 comments:

Werewolf TA said...

Hey there, old friend. I'm sorry to hear about your bad Sunday. I think you're right: most people are only mildly and momentarily curious but don't really care. I can't count the number of times we've been asked if Brandon's autistic. When repeating the truth gets tiresome, take artistic license. Tell them you're a Vietnam vet and lost the use of your legs in an offensive outside of Denang in '72.

I say draw more attention to yourself. Get some flames painted on your ride and some leather fringe. Sew a Harley insignia onto the chairback. Maybe a chrome tailpipe. ;)

I don't know what to say about the door. You could always move to where we were in FL. You wouldn't have anybody holding the door open for you there, as there's a near total lack of common courtesy.

That's rough about Alex. I see your point of view. I feel confident, though, that he loves you and doesn't begrudge helping you any more than you did when he was little and needed your help.

I hope this finds you in better spirits. Try to keep your chin up and focus on the positive things in your life. I've been praying for you and will continue to do so.

Brooke said...

Thank you, old friend. I love the Vietnam idea. It's like the recent blog entry here: http://maydayprdx.blogspot.com/ which says: "From now on, whenever someone asks me the inevitable "what happened?" I'm going with: CHUCK NORRIS."

The Vietnam one is especially good since we weren't born until '74, but that's a small detail. hehe. I love it. And the Harley chair idea, I think I've seen a pic of that somewhere. Great idea. I was thinking I'd go with the girl version of that plan, and be so hot that no one can look away! :-)

My spirits are a little better. I was crying a lot yesterday, and I'm definitely over that now. Now I'm just calm, I still want to stay home so that no one sees that I use a wheelchair, but I'll have to go do stuff eventually. It's okay because today is boy-room-cleaning day, where I sit outside their rooms and narrate what they should pick up next. It's just like mourning, I've lost something, and I have to get used to it. Brian asked last night what my goal was. I said that I want to get so used to all of this that I don't mind anymore. But, unfortunately, getting used to something, by definition, takes time.

And remember, Brandon's not autistic, he's artistic! Like his dad. :-)

Mia said...

Dang Brooke I am sorry that you are going through this period of mourning. You are really strong and tough, but I agree some days you just don't want to have to be supercrip. I hope that people do take the opportunity to get to know you. Hopefully this will be a better week (especially Sunday). The Ernesto thing... Forrest is extremely private/shy and is sort of weirded out that I blog to begin with so he asked that when I write about him I use his nick-name that my family gave him. I am by nature an oversharer so I have a hard time totally understanding it, but I respect his wishes. He is to the point where he thinks is is funny and cute.

Bry n Dani Family said...

Brooke, I hope you're having a good day today. I'm sorry Sunday was rough. I don't blame you for feeling that way at all. I can't imagine doing what you have to do everyday. So, vent away. That's what friends are for. I loved your friends suggestions for answers to other people's questions. So, how did boy-room-cleaning-day go? Are you available to come swim? My kids keep asking me when you are coming. I can't find my phone today so I'll have to call you when I find it. I'm also planning on going to play date tomorrow-probably not until eleven though. Are you going to make it? Have a great day! Danielle

Bry n Dani Family said...

missed you today. call me if you have some time this week to hang out-preferably early this week. Talk to ya later.