Wednesday, October 25, 2006

SETI

I wanted to weigh in and give my thoughts on SETI: The Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence. Some of you may have heard of this program from the movie 'Contact'. The movie and the SETI program were both created by the same man...

I've loved Carl Sagan and his work since my childhood, and I still do. For the record, yes, I think there are other intelligences out there. However, unlike Sagan when he lived on Earth, I believe in a God, so I believe we were made by God. Therefore, I believe other intelligences out there were also made by God -- some by our God, and possibly some by siblings or equals of our God. This means I think the other intelligences out there, at least those on planets like ours, will look just like us.

So yes, I think they are totally contact-able.... if only you factor in enough time.

I wanted to throw out the possibility that while, I believe, they are totally out there, and yes, technological progress is a big factor, I also think that we need to account for the distances. We're using, at most, light speed. Using light speed, it may take incredible large amounts of time before any transmissions could actually be received.

Unless they are located very close to us, which is unlikely in a universe this size, then we must keep in mind that when we look out into space, we are looking back into history. So, really, I suppose, we are looking for civilized life that lived billions of years ago.

I just wanted to let everyone know this is a possibility, that they could both be true: a) yes, they could be out there, while b) we may not receive their transmissions.

No comments: