Monday, August 10, 2009

Follow Up Dr. Appointment

I went in for my last doctor's appointment this morning. This time Brian and the kids came with me. I knew it would be a short, simple meeting, so it was a nice time for Brian to meet my doctor. Also, Brian was a huge help in pushing me up the steep downtown streets.

I forget my doctor's exact words, but he said something like "well, we've beaten you to death, there's nothing left to do with you." :-) He said that while smiling. He went on to say "we've tested you for everything that could possibly have any treatments. So, it's got to be the Hereditary thing" (that's what he calls HSP sometimes, for short). "But HSP is a mysterious disease, and we don't know anything about it, so that's all we can do."

We finally figured out today why my doctor spent so much time testing for Stiff Man Syndrome. It's because he actually had a patient with it a few years ago. He had seen it, so he knew it was a real possibility. Now he's had a patient with HSP, so now he's seen that too.

He checked my reflexes again, like he always does, and says that my legs and feet are still hyper-reflexive, which is typical for what I have. He also tested some range of motion and was happy that I still have a good range of motion in my legs. He wants me to keep doing all of my stretching that I'm doing, he says it's working well to keep me healthy. :-)

Brian liked the doctor too. We both like how straight forward he is in his speaking. We're very glad to have him as our doctor because we know that most neurologists wouldn't have the background and knowledge needed to diagnose me with my rare condition. This may have taken a really long time, but it did work out in the end.

The doctor gave me a longer-term prescription for the spasms, and says I have to go back every six months to continue it. No problem.


So, it's done. Afterwards, Brian went to work, and the kids and I made our monthly run across town to the Boy Scout office for this month's Cub Scouting awards.

No comments: