Saturday, August 23, 2008

Why is the veloway handicapped accessible?


Below is a letter that I just wrote and submitted to the City of Austin. There is a wonderful 3 mile paved trail through nature on my side of town. I want to use it to exercise and get out like I used to when I hiked a lot. It is only for bikers and roller bladers. Originally, it was just bikers, the roller bladers were given permission about 15 years ago. Anyway, to be brief, I think I'm a lot more like a bike than a roller blader is.


Here is the official rule from the city's website: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/bicycle/veloway_info.htm

"This is a recreational bicycle and roller blade track. All other uses, such as foot traffic or hiking are prohibited. "


Sounds to me like wheelchair use is just fine. But I called the city and they said no. Time to fight!



Here's my letter .....



Why is the veloway handicapped accessible?

It is listed as such on this site: http://www.homeandabroad.com/viewSiteDetails.ha?mainInfoId=170527

I have recently become disabled and wheelchair bound, and I would like to use the veloway for exercise and to train for our city’s many races. I used to love hiking and my heart is breaking at not being able to hike anymore. All of the trails in Austin are very rocky, and I need a nice paved surface for my "hiking". I called the city of Austin last month and they said wheelchairs are not allowed on the veloway.

I'm not slow. I'm very athletic, I push a manual chair, and I go very fast - as fast as a sprinting runner, though not as fast as a bike at full speed. I’m definitely faster than a roller blader. My wheelchair has much more in common with bicycles than with roller blades. Also, allow me to mention, my wheelchair has wheels! I am not a pedestrian, and I would not be using my feet at the veloway.

I strongly feel that I qualify to use this city’s resource, and I ask for the rules to change to allow me to use the veloway.

I have two sons who would be riding with me on their bikes. I can not bike along with them, and they love to bike and use the veloway. They are not old enough to go alone. If I can ride on the veloway, then they will be able to as well.

The veloway does not have many parking spots, yet of those few, three are handicapped spots! My only guess is that those spots are for those with handbikes. The problem is that handbikes are $3,000 each! There is a huge difference between requiring someone to own a $100 bike and requiring them to purchase a $3,000 handbike in order to use the veloway.

Just because my chair has four wheels instead of three, I believe that I should still be allowed to use the veloway for my exercise.

I can't go the miles I want to go on Austin's many rocky trails, and every sidewalk and street in town are graded, angled, so that rainwater can run off of them. This means that when going down a sidewalk, half of my body is lower than the other half of my body, so in order to not roll down into the street, I must push with only the street-side arm. This is incredibly exhausting and provides no exercise for the arm that is facing away from the road. It’s clearly not a method of exercising.

There are no paved hikes available to me in Austin. I only want a trail to use, just like all other bikers, joggers, walkers, and roller bladers have throughout our great city. Such a trail does not even need to be built. I just ask that the City expand the definition of the veloway as has been done in the past: when roller bladers were given access to the wonderful trail. Now, please give wheelchair users access to the trail as well.

There are probably no such things as Rights regarding trail usage. It’s not required by the law that gave me three parking spaces and full access to a trail that I am not permitted to access. However, in a progressive and health-oriented city like Austin, I ask that I be allowed to use the Veloway without spending $3,000.

Thank you for your time.

2 comments:

Kasey said...

Go Brooke! I say you just get out there and use it anyway. I can't imagine that anyone would be rude enough to tell you to leave. Just be careful on that ramp of death. :> That thing is a beast.

Mia said...

That is awesome Brooke! I am glad you wrote that letter. Hopefully they will allow you to use the veloway so you can enjoy getting out and exercising with the kids.